OCTI: The 2 Player Game
Board and Pieces
The OCTI board is a 9x9 grid of squares, six of which are marked "OCTI." Each player controls
seven light or dark octagon-shaped pieces called "pods" and 25 pegs called "prongs."
The winner is the first player to occupy all three enemy OCTI squares at the same time. For a
shorter game, play to occupy a single enemy OCTI square.
Place game board between players, so that OCTI squares face each player.
At the start, place one empty pod on each of the friendly OCTI squares.
Each player holds four extra pods in reserve for future use.
Arrows on the pods should be visible and always pointed toward the opponent. Pods never
Rules of Play
Players, in turn, must do one and only one of the following:
I. Insert a prong into a friendly pod.
II. Reposition a prong in a friendly pod.
III. Move a friendly pod (or pods, if more than one pod occupy the same square).
IV. Jump other pods, capturing them if desired.
V. Bring a reserve or captured pod onto the board.
When exercising one of these options, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Pods may only move or jump in the direction of their prongs.
- A prong may only be added to your own pod.
- To conserve your supply of prongs, a prong may be repositioned in the same pod.
- Some or all of the pods that occupy a square may move or jump in a single turn.
- Pods stacked together in a single square may more or jump in separate directions.
- Pods move only to adjacent squares (unless jumping).
- Pods can never move to a square occupied by an enemy pod, but any number of friendly
pods may stack together.
- Pods may jump other pods, whether friendly or enemy.
- A jumping pod must land in an empty square immediately beyond the jumped pod.
- Multiple jumps are allowed, but a pod cannot jump the same square twice in a turn.
- Any pod, friendly or enemy, that is jumped may be captured at the conclusion of the turn.
- Captured pods are removed from the board and kept separate from reserve pods.
- Pods are not required to jump, and capturing is optional.
- If jumped, all pods in a stack may be captured.
- Pods stacked together may not jump each other.
- A stack may jump to the same destination.
- Players seize all prongs from pods that they capture.
- A reserve pod may be brought onto any friendly OCTI square.
- A reserve pod may be brought onto any enemy OCTI square that you occupy.
- If you occupy an enemy OCTI square, you may liberate one of your captured pods; this
liberated pod is stacked on any OCTI square that you occupy.
- OCTI squares do not affect movement or capture. They are not "safe" squares.
Example of play in the two-player game.